Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Chesapeake Explorer Gets Political

As some of you may know, the neighborhoods of urban Baltimore are organized into little political groups called neighborhood associations that act as the sounding board for the 'hood and liaise with the city govenment to help put the citizens' perspective in front of the politicians.

I became involved in our neighborhood association when I wanted to generate funds and permission to build the bocce ball court. And, when that project was finished I was in the throes of getting married and was pretty busy at work so my involvement lapsed.

For fun, I went to a meeting a couple of months ago and found that almost the entire board was empty because of others doing similar kinds of things with their time. So I volunteered to be the Vice President of the association. A vote was taken and voila, I was in.

Two days later, the President of the association called me up and announce her resignation because she had just gotten married.

Hm.

The good news is that this term expires in October -- that's the cool part about being voted in during the term. We'll see what happens after that.

No comments: