Thursday, July 31, 2008

Why we love and hate car seats

So we totally understand that car seats are designed to keep our little Hamslice safe if there were ever an accident. We are thankful for this protection and for the new LATCH system that provides even more safety by strapping the seat into the car in such a way that it doesn't wobble, and the hooks holding the seat in place are underneath and between the seats of the car.

But, there is a bit of a yin-yang present here. While Hamslice is safe, he is also seated backward, which leads to car sickness.

And, when he does throw up in the car (think the Barf-o-Rama from the movie Stand by Me) it projects onto the back seats of my car. That way, the stench will live in the car forever...heated by the sun.

AND, in order to remove the car seat to clean it, I get to shove my hand INTO the barf in order to undo the latches underneath and between the seats of the car.

And this, my friends, is why we love and hate car seats.

1 comment:

Catherine Arnold said...

Aiee. So the seats literally won't face forward? Boy, I hated carsickness as a child. Got it from the lower back seat of my mom's Monte Carlo. It was a good day when we got that station wagon...
My friend Beth has a four-month-old. She hates car seats because the baby cries when he's not attached to her...fairly understandable too!